Voted Top 10
Jacob Welsh and his daughter traveled from Boston, Massachusetts in 1811 to the Western Reserve area of Northeast Ohio. Mr. Welsh donated fifty acres of his land on which to build a church, parsonage and cemetery. In addition, he agreed to provide the nails and glass for the church if his neighbors would call the area Welshfield, in honor of his family.
The Inn was built during the 1840’s by Alden Nash and was named the Nash Hotel. This original structure still stands as the center portion of the building, with various additions throughout the years. It served as a stagecoach stop on the two-day trip from Youngstown to Cleveland and offered overnight lodging to visitors.
During the Civil War, the Inn was part of the Underground Railroad, caring for escaped slaves on their way to Canada. There are written accounts from the time detailing how the slaves were hidden in the hotel barn and fed baskets of food prepared from the kitchen. During the ensuing years, the Inn was the social center of the Welshfield area, at various times housing a school, a barber shop, a jewelry shop and the Post Office. Additions to the building were made over time, including a ballroom, guest rooms and the signature front porch.
Until 1946, the Inn went through several owners, each adding history and personal touches to the building. In August, 1946, the Inn was purchased by Brian and Pauline Holmes of Akron, who created and nurtured the family style restaurant known as the Welshfield Inn. The Holmes’ owned the Inn for over forty-five years, residing and raising their family in the upstairs living quarters and growing and harvesting much of the produce featured seasonally on their menu. Upon their retirement in 1992, The Inn was sold to Drs. Arthur and William Steffee and their sister Susan. The Steffee’s added on the garden room dining area and undertook other major renovations and improvements throughout the historic building. During their ownership, the Inn developed its reputation as a family-style restaurant, drawing visitors and families from all over Northeastern Ohio.
In 2007, the Inn was purchased by the SKHM group, proprietors of restaurants and inns, including 87 West at Crocker Park, Washington Place Bistro and Inn (formerly Baricelli Inn), and the Allegheny Grille located in Foxburg, Pennsylvania. After extensive renovation and restoration, The Welshfield Inn reopened in November of 2007. In 2010, the neighboring church was purchased and underwent renovation to become a banquet facility to help serve greater demand for private functions. Our goal at The Welshfield Inn is to exceed our guests expectations while providing friendly and attentive service, consistently excellent food, in one of the regions most historic establishments.